Friday, February 24, 2012

Second Semester: Week 7

This week consisted of more trombone slide work. I worked on practice slide tube dents on a single trombone outer slide tube. After two rounds of practice dents I moved on to a practice hand slide. My instructor put in dents and changed the span and skew of the outer and inner tubes. I had to bring the handslide up to playing condition. I started by cleaning and straightening both the inner and outer tubes. Next, I worked on the span and skew of the inner slide tubes. In order to check the span I looked at the movement of the inner slides after I pulled them out of the outer tubes. Once the skew and span was fixed I worked on the outer tube dents. I started by roughing them out and then finishing them with the steel hammer. As I was working I realized the lower inner tube was out of round and was making it difficult to determine what the slide was suppose to feel like. I brought it back to the best playing condition without burnishing or changing out the tube.

My practice trombone slide. Here there is nothing wrong with it yet, but once my instructor got a hold of it I was in for a treat!

Finally after all that practicing I got to work on my project trombone. I worked on the crook/guard dent. I tried to preserve the guard by pulling it up but the bumper starting ripping the guard so I ended up taking it off.

The crook/guard that is pushed in and needs to be fixed

No comments:

Post a Comment