Thursday, November 24, 2011

Week 14

This was a short week because of Thanksgiving break. But we did a lathe project to replicate a tuba valve stem. First my bench partner and I took measurements of the piece we were replicating. After that we used the tap and die and drill charts to figure out the correct size tool to use for this project. The stock material for this project was a 0.250 inch piece of brass rod. First I faced and de-burred both ends of the rod. Then I turned down one side of the rod for the male threads. On the last pass of the tool bit for turning I put the relief and shoulder to square off that end. Once it was the right length I used a 10-32 die to make the threads. Then I switched ends and faced the part to the correct length. When it was the correct length I drilled the hole for the inner threads. Then I tapped it with an 8-32 size tap. Once the threads were in I drilled the counterbore with a #18 drill. The counter bore allowed for the threads on the valve cap to fit in the stem because they are tapered near the base of the cap. After the ends were de-burred the piece was finished.

My worksheet with all of my calculations. Also the stem I was
replicating

Turning the end for the male threads

Using the 10-32 die to make the threads


Drilling the hole for the inner threads

No comments:

Post a Comment