Saturday, October 8, 2011

Week 7

The topic this week was all about replacing a mouth pipe. On my project trumpet the mouth pipe was severely damaged and I replaced it with an Allied Universal mouth pipe. The first step was to remove the mouth pipe assembly from my trumpet. Since mine was not attached to start with this was simple. Then I had to take off all of the braces and wipe the excess solder down to tinning. Next, I took apart the mouth pipe assembly. I took of the receiver first and then the upper outer main tuning slide tube. The most exciting part of this process was that my finger hook did not fall off! Once I had it all apart I needed to prep all of the surfaces that were going to be soldered back together. I wiped, scraped and sanded the inside and outside of tubes. This was to remove solder, I also removed the old lacquer so that it did not burn when I soldered the mouth pipe back together. After they were sanded I buffed and degreased so that the solder would flow on the parts. The next step was fitting the new mouth pipe to the old receiver and outer slide tube. In order to make the parts fit I had to flare the one end with a morse #1 taper tool and then insert brass shims to fill the rest of the gap. After everything was fitted and aligned I soldered the mouth pipe assembly together.

The original mouth pipe assembly

Using an old mouth piece to clamp in the vice to pull the
receiver off the mouth pipe

Heating up the outer slide tube

Solder clip on the finger hook so it won't fall off

Mouth pipe assembly apart

Adding shims to fill in the space

Newly assembled mouth pipe 

No comments:

Post a Comment